|Above: All about hair.|
Hello lovely readers...I hope your August is off to a wonderful start! As promised, this post has a hair-centric focus. To elaborate, I often get asked about the products I use to maintain my hair health; although I have an absurd amount of shampoo and conditioner in my rotation, there are a few key products that get perennial usage and this piece is dedicated to those evergreen selections. I've also included some current summertime beauty and skincare favorites to complete the look that follows!
Kindly scroll on for more details, swatches and images of the products in action as well as the Bottom Line...
|Above Haircare favorites...Sarah Potempa Darby Clips, ghd Eclipse Hair Styler, Tangle Teezer, Oribe Shine Light Reflecting Spray and Oribe Gold Lust Conditioner.|
I have had long hair for most of my life but it hasn't always been as long and thick as it is today. I attribute my mane to three things:
(1) Good genes...both my mom and my dad have lovely locks. Even better, they are amazing parents.
|Above: My parents at the start of their marriage...I wasn't exaggerating about their hair!|
(2) Quality haircare...in my adult life, I have learned what works and what does not work when it comes to caring for my hair. Many are surprised to hear that I wash daily or every other day (especially in the summer when being presentable is not as imperative) and this routine has provided me ample opportunities to find my way to shampoos and conditioners that not only clean well but also avoid the dreaded buildup associated with frequent washing.
For the hair-centric images that follow, I used the Oribe Gold Lust Shampoo and Conditioner (believe the hype...reviewed HERE) then let my hair air dry. I brushed it out with a Tangle Teezer (such an amazing tool...reviewed HERE) and used my Sarah Potempa Darby Clips (hold hair secure without leaving dents) to section off hair while straightening just the top layer with my trusty ghd Eclipse Hair Styler (maximum impact, minimum damage, reviewed HERE). I finished the look with a spray of the Oribe Shine Light Reflecting Spray for extra luster.
Some of my other haircare favorites, briefly described, include:
- *John Frieda Cool Dip Shampoo and Conditioner...clarifying without stripping, it leaves hair feeling fresh as the sea.
- *Gloss Moderne High Gloss Shampoo and Conditioner (reviewed HERE)...smells like coconut and imparts a shiny sheen.
- *Oribe Gold Lust Shampoo and Conditioner (reviewed HERE)...the creme de la creme of haircare, this duo smells divine and is totally worth the investment.
- *R+Co Shampoo and Conditioner...this independent line produces beautiful formulas that nourish without weighing down the hair.
- John Frieda Go Blonder Shampoo and Conditioner...completely affordable, this has been one of my go-to pair for years. Don't let the "Go Blonder" moniker mislead you...the formula doesn't contain any active ingredients for lightening (e.g., peroxide or bleach).
- *Leonor Greyl Nourishing Shampoo for Long Dry Hair...I've loved everything I've tried from this venerable all-natural French line and I use this rich and emollient formula a few times a month.
- Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm for Thick, Coarse Hair...this rich balm makes my hair so soft and manageable. Despite not having any major split ends, my hair is prone to tangling and this is one of the only products that banishes them on contact.
- *Leonor Greyl Bi-Phase Detangling Milk (reviewed HERE)...another beautiful LG product, a few sprays on my freshly washed hair contributes to extra hydration and manageability. So good.
- Oribe Shine Light Reflecting Spray...this ultra-light shine mist creates lovely luminosity and movement.
- Tangle Teezer (reviewed HERE)...as the name implies, this brush works its way through tangles ever so effectively without causing discomfort. As I've said before, I'm not sure how this works, I just know it works.
- *Sarah Potempa Darby Clips...these super strong hair clips hold hair securely for adept styling. The reviews on these gems are spectacular.
- *ghd Eclipse Hair Styler (reviewed HERE)...this state of the art tool heats up fast and equally distributes said heat so hair gets smooth and shiny in seconds without incurring damage. ghd straighteners are simply the best! http://rstyle.me/~5PTw5
(3) Healthy habits...I try to be mindful of what I eat as I am a firm believer that what is on the inside shows on the outside. In turn, I strive to consume plenty of fruits and veggies, drink lots of water and go easy on meat (and skip pork and shellfish entirely), refined sugar and white flour; I also do not drink alcohol or smoke. I do, however love dairy products (cheese! yogurt! butter! milk!) and try to choose options that are free of growth hormones whenever possible. Finally, I take supplements (pictured below) to nourish my hair and skin from the inside out. Of course, there are differing schools of thought on how effective supplements are but I, personally, truly see a difference; please note that this is merely my experience and I am in no way attempting to dispense medical advice! The supplements that I regularly take for hair and skin include:
- Puritan's Pride Ultra Woman Daily Vitamin...I have used supplements from Puritan's Pride for decades and am always pleased with the quality and performance of my selections. Both the daily vitamin packs and caplets (linked above) are excellent options for maintaining health on every level.
- *Hair La Vie...this hair support system encourages growth and fortifies existing strands for the healthiest head of hair around.
- *Super Collagen + C...great for strengthening connective tissue, thickening hair and making nails harder, this wonder supplement also increases skin hydrating and clarity with regular use.
- *Equitance Skin Brightening Supplements...I am still working my way through the 60 day challenge but have already seen noted differences in the clarity and brightness of my skin after three weeks of use.
- *HUM Runway Ready Supplements (reviewed HERE)...a fabulous all-around vitamin pack for healthy hair, clear skin and strong nails, I love the ease of this option.
- *Le Mieux 4-in-1 Ultra Sonic Anti-Aging Skin Perfecter...not a supplement but definitely a support for skin, this beauty gadget deep cleans skin without irritation, clearing every pore for maximum smoothness and glow. I am absolutely stunned by how well this works. More on this wonder soon!
|Above: Daily Vitamins from Puritans Pride, the Le Mieux Skin Perfecter, Hair La Vie, Super Collagen + C and Equitance.|
|Above: The Le Mieux Skin Perfecter is excellent for deep cleaning pores without irritations...I saw results after the very first use.|
|Above: Summertime beauty.|
For the beauty look that follows, I opted to embrace my slightly deeper summer skin, integrating soft hues of rose, peach and copper to add depth and radiance.
- Nautical 3/4 sleeve top
- Dolce & Gabbana Aurealux Eye Gel...as a tightening and brightening first line of eye defense, this lightweight hydrator is divine.
- Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation (reviewed HERE) in #123/Y365.
- Hourglass Ambient Bronzer in Luminous Bronze (reviewed HERE) applied with my Chikuhodo GSN 04 brush (reviewed HERE)
- La Prairie Cellular Performance Cream Blush in Peach Glow (reviewed HERE)
- Le Metier de Beaute PV Leuer Pen #2 (reviewed HERE)
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal (reviewed HERE) applied with my Jenny Patinkin Kitten Paw brush (so good for highlighter!)
- Chanel Illusion d'Ombre in Rouge-Gorge (reviewed HERE)
- Gucci Magnetic Eye Quad in Crystal Copper (reviewed HERE)
- Marc Jacobs Le Marc Le Creme in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
- Tom Ford Ultra Shine Lip Gloss in Naked (sold out everywhere but Saks and swatched HERE and HERE)
|Above: Marc Jacobs Beauty Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a gorgous, color-saturated rose hue.|
|Above: A swatch of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in direct sunlight.|
|Above: A fresh lip mix...Marc Jacobs Kiss Kiss Bang Bang + Tom Ford Naked Gloss (reviewed HERE|
|Above: The lightweight Dolce & Gabbana Aurealux Eye Gel absorbs instantly, waking up my tired eyes with a tightening and brightening effect.|
|Above: Swatches of all products in direct sunlight.|
The following images reflect all products in action in various lighting situations...
|Above: Last look.|
--Shop the Post--
Bottom Line: I hoped you enjoyed this hair-centric piece and cannot recommend the Oribe Gold Lust Shampoo and Conditioner, Tangle Teezer , Sarah Potempa Darby Clips and ghd Eclipse Hair Styler enough. Oh, and the Oribe Shine Light Reflecting Spray is pretty terrific as well!
I would love to know what some of YOUR favorite haircare products are...do please share in the comments box below.
Good things ahead, including a (slightly late) July Favorites video and a host of new product procurements!
--The Beauty Professor
** PR samples provided for review denoted by an asterisk (the rest purchased by me), however, as always, all of my opinions are expressly and unequivocally my own.
© 2012-15 Beautyprofessor® All Rights Reserved. Do not copy, reprint or republish content and/or photos without author's written permission.