|Above: The Hourglass Cosmetics Ambient Bronzer in Luminous Bronze Light, resplendent in the sunshine.|
The *Hourglass Cosmetics Ambient Bronzers have arrived! Currently available online at Sephora for VIB Rouge and VIB members and available for all on 4/15 at Sephora and Hourglass, this marbleized formula imparts the most gorgeous glow. I was able to preview the bronzers during their debut at the Hourglass Flagship Store on Abbot Kinney in Venice Beach last week and, since having one in my possession, have worn it daily since then!
Kindly scroll on for more details, an overview of the debut event, a review of the formula comparison swatches and images of the Ambient Bronzer in action as well as the Bottom Line...
|Above: The Hourglass Ambient Bronzers in Radiant Bronze Light and Luminous Bronze Light.|
|Above: The Hourglass Flagship Store on Abbot Kinney in Venice Beach, CA.|
|Above: Both bronzers side by side in the flagship store...Radiant Bronze Light is a bit warmer than the neutral Luminous Bronze Light.|
|Above: Swatches of both bronzers in indoor lighting. As aforementioned, Radiant Bronze Light leans slightly warmer/more gold than the more neutral Luminous Bronze Light. Either shade will work well with a spectrum of skin tones.|
|Above: In the customized "ambient lighting booth" which cast the rosy bronze glow of Luminous Bronze Light.|
|Above: From the upper level...the clean lines and modern aesthetic of the flagship store are stunning, no?|
|Above: The illustrious array of Hourglass base products including the Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation (reviewed HERE and available at Sephora, Net-a-Porter, Space NK and Barney's NY).|
|Above: In front of the Ambient Lighting booth.|
|Above: With Hourglass Director of PR and Consumer Engagement Mary Friberg.|
|Above: Hourglass Director of Product Development Charlene Valledor, BP, Director of Opererations Erin Hovi and Project Director Jenn Janes.|
|Above: With Hourglass Cosmetics CEO Carisa Janes.|
|Above: An extreme closeup of the Ambient Bronzer in Luminous Bronze Glow...the tender beige and tan marbling is mesmorizing.|
On to the bronzer itself! This finely milled powder comes in the now-iconic metallic rose brown compact associated with the Hourglass line and is the same size as the original Ambient Lighting Powders (reviewed HERE). I must confess, for me this bronzer was love at first swatch!
The silky texture is otherworldly, leaving a gossamer finish on the skin that truly looks like the natural glow of sunshine than the oft-russet finish of bronzer. In my week of daily usage, I have noted that this bronzer:
- Has a buildable, blendable texture that glides onto the skin with ease...one swipe will yield sheer effect while building it up will increase intensity without altering the nearly invisible texture on the skin
- Is (thankfully!) unscented and very kind to sensitive skin
- Can, depending on the depth of one's skin tone, be used as a warm contour, a bronzer or both (as I like to do)
- Possesses a glowing finish that is luminous without looking shimmery or glittery...the illumination simply creates ethereal and healthy looking skin
- Has impressive lasting power...no fading, smearing or migrating whatsoever
- Is ultra-flattering on the skin...it smooths, lifts and brightens without accentuating pores or fine lines
- In a word, this bronzer is transcendent!
|Above: Luminous Bronze light in direct sunlight.|
Official details, courtesy of Sephora:
What it is:An illuminating bronzer with Photoluminescent Technology, featuring bronze pigments that deliver a natural-looking, sunkissed glow while flaunting depth and dimension.
What it does:
Ambient Bronzer’s sheer, airy formula sweeps softly onto skin for a healthy-looking, radiant finish. It’s formulated with Photoluminescent Technology, featuring optically transparent particles that transform the look of skin by manipulating and refracting light to emphasize your best features. The optically transparent particles allow for seamless blending and color transitions. The powders, blended by hand using an advanced miscelare technique, offer the perfect balance of pigments in a gorgeous pattern. Use this bronzer alone, or paired with Ambient Lighting Powder for maximum control to create depth and dimension—or even use it for a subtle contouring effect.
What else you need to know:
“Most bronzers are flat and look unnatural. That’s where the Photoluminescent Technology really lends itself to the Ambient Lighting Bronzer. It's perfect for creating a natural sunkissed glow. I personally love using Luminous Bronze Light for subtle contouring because it blends seamlessly with the Ambient Lighting Powders and blushes."—Carisa Janes, Hourglass Founder
Suggested Usage:To create a warm look:
-Using the Hourglass No.1 Powder Brush, gently swirl the entire compact to pick up the perfect balance of pigment and powder.
-Lightly apply all over face to achieve a sun-kissed look.
-Use a brush to apply Ambient Bronzer as a subtle contour along the temples, hollows of the cheeks, and jawline.
-Ambient Bronzer works best when applied after Ambient Lighting Powder and before Ambient Lighting Blush.
|Above: A perfect pair...Ambient Bronzer + *Ambient Lighting Powder Brush.|
|Above: The beauty that is the Hourglass Ambient Powder Brush...dense and fluffy, this brush adeptly applies the perfect amount of powder for contouring, shading and bronzing.|
|Above: A single swatch of Luminous Bronze Light in direct sunlight.|
|Above: Bronzers suitable for comparison swatches.|
To better illustrate it's undertone and finish, I juxtaposed Luminous Bronze Light against some similar bronzers in my collection. I found that he Hourglass Ambient Bronzer in Luminous Bronze Light is:
- Lighter and warmer than the Charlotte Tilbury Bronze and Glow (reviewed HERE)
- More glowy and luminous than the Guerlain Four Seasons 02 (reviewed HERE)
- Slightly warmer and much more radiant than Napoleon Perdis Matte Bronze (reviewed HERE)
- Deeper and more luminous than the Rouge Bunny Rouge At Goldcombe Bay (reviewed HERE)
- Warmer and much less peachy-rose than the Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic in First Love (reviewed HERE)
- Silkier, softer and more neutral than NARS Dual Intensity Blush in Craving (reviewed HERE)
|Above: Bronzer comparison swatches in outdoor shade.|
|Above: Bronzer comparison swatches in direct sunlight.|
|Above: The diversity of packaging never gets old.|
|Above: Hourglass simplicity...Luminous Bronze Light, Extreme Sheen Lipgloss in Child and 1.5 MM Mechanical Gel Eyeliner.|
In order to create the look that follows, I embraced a couple of favorite Hourglass products--perennially in my rotation--to lend to a clean, glowing outcome:
- *1.5 MM Mechanical Gel Eyeliner (reviewed HERE)
- Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss in Child (reviewed HERE)
|Above: Swatches of Hourglass in harmony in direct sunlight.|
Below: The following images reflect the Hourglass Ambient Bronzer in Luminous Bronze Light in action in various lighting situations...
- Le Metier de Beaute Peau Vierge (reviewed HERE)
- Napoleon Perdis Autopilot Primer
- Napoleon Perdis Foundation Stick in Look #3 mixed with MustaeV Skinny Tint Foundation in Bright Beige (both foundations to be reviewed soon) and applied with a damp Beauty Blender
- Hourglass Ambient Bronzer in Lumious Bronze Light applied as a contour/bronzer...nothing else used on my cheeks!
- Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil in Soft Brown (reviewed HERE)
- By Terry Colour Design Palette (reviewed HERE and available for pre-order at Beautylish + SpaceNK)...warm shades on my eyes, blended to brows
- Hourglass 1.5 MM Mechanical Gel Eyeliner (reviewed HERE) along the lower waterline
- Surratt Beauty Relevee Mascara (reviewed HERE)
- Hourglass Panoramic Lip Liner in Eden (reviewed HERE)
- Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss in Child (reviewed HERE)
--Shop the Post--
Bottom Line: Ever since getting chance to try the Hourglass Ambient Bronzer, I have been using it nonstop; the finely milled texture melds with my skin effortlessly and wears beautifully for hours on end. I am confident that this will continue to be a fixture in my makeup bag as the weather continues to warm up...the Ambient Bronzer glow is utterly addicting!
Have YOU yet tried the Hourglass Ambient Bronzer? If not, I implore you to consider doing so!
Good things ahead, including foundation reviews, new product procurements, a skincare update and a fresh FOTD. I am also in the midst (as always) of responding to your lovely emails and comments!
Hope your weekend is off to a marvelous start...xx,
--The Beauty Professor
** PR samples provided for review denoted by an asterisk (the rest purchased by me), however, as always, all of my opinions are expressly and unequivocally my own.
© 2012-15 Beautyprofessor® All Rights Reserved. Do not copy, reprint or republish content and/or photos without author's written permission.