The summer has been rife with new foundation releases, which couldn't make this foundation-phile any happier. I've preliminarily mentioned the newly reformulated *MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD formula (HERE) and am now thrilled to offer a comprehensive overview of this base, along with swatches of ALL 40 shade offerings!
Kindly scroll on for more details, swatches and images of the foundation in action as well as the Bottom Line...
Years back, the original MUFE HD foundation was one of my first forays into foundation; shade 118 was an apropos match for my generally NC 23-25 skin and the finish was decidedly natural. Although the lasting power was not as stalwart as I would have liked, I attributed the need for touch ups to my combination skin. Fast forward seven years and this latest version has taken HD performance to another level!
Upon taking in the expansive landscape of 40 shades, I determined that the best match for my "dead of summer" NC 27-30 skin is #123/Y365 Desert, a lovely medium olive beige with neutral to yellow undertones. A few test runs with the formula (in excessively warm and humid weather, I might add) and I observed the following:
The new MUFE Ultra HD Foundation...
- ...has better coverage than the original formula. One and a half pumps (applied with a damp Beauty Blender) is all I need for medium to full coverage that, once set, smoothes pores and banishes imperfections while looking nearly imperceptible on the skin.
- ...like its precursor, has no scent or sunscreen to speak of and doesn't cause irritation or breakouts...my sensitive skin says "thank you."
- ...has significantly better lasting power than the original version. I get 6-8 hours ofe, comfortabl touch up free wear that doesn't pool in pores or transfer easily. I view this element as the most distinct improvement on the first installment.
- ...all in all, is a brilliant base option for those seeking natural, demi-matte coverage with impressive lasting power; the fact that it comes in 40 shades of varying intensity and under tone makes it that much more marvelous. I daresay that everyone who seeks a befitting match in this formula will find one (swatches of all shades below)!
Official details, courtesy of Sephora:
What it is:A bestselling HD foundation that appears more invisible, comfortable, and natural-looking than ever.
What it does:
Developed specifically for the film and TV industry's most advanced technology, Ultra HD Liquid Foundation creates a naturally flawless complexion—on and off camera. Completely invisible under the latest, super-focused 4k lens, this revolutionary foundation features uniquely-coated pigments that provide medium coverage with a lightweight texture that looks just like skin. Long-lasting with a natural-looking finish, Ultra HD Liquid Foundation is formulated with hyaluronic spheres for time-released hydration that ensures comfortable wear on all skin types. Now available in an expanded range of 40 shades to match all skintones, Ultra HD is the perfect everyday foundation for a flawless complexion—and an unretouched life.
What else you need to know:
MAKE UP FOR EVER is once again leading the beauty industry into the next era of makeup innovation and technology. As the original pioneer of the HD makeup category, it continues to redefine and elevate beauty standards with the launch of its new Ultra HD Foundation, the first and only foundation designed for 4k technology. With 4k technology, the next generation of digital devices will display images with unbelievable detail, stunning clarity, and heightened color than existing HD technology. Completely invisible under the latest, ultra-magnified resolution, these innovative foundation formulas look completely natural on camera—and to the naked eye.
"My goal was to cope with the new 4k technology while keeping the main benefits of HD Foundation. Ultra HD Foundation had to meet the perfection needs of pros as well as the everyday needs of all women.”—Dany Sanz, MAKE UP FOR EVER Founder and Creative Director
Onto the shades + swatches:
I shot each grouping of eight in outdoor light (e.g., direct sun, shade and with a flash) to provide the best possible context for shade depiction. The shades with a "Y" in their name have a warm/golden/yellow undertone and the shades with a "R" lean rosy to pink in undertone. Those shades with two sets of numbers show the direct correlation between a shade in the original formula and the new formula (e.g., 110/R220). Don't forget to click on images to further enlarge them!
|Above: The first eight shades are for fair skin (e.g., @N/NW/NC 10-15).|
|Above: The next eight shades work well for light skin (e.g., @N/NW/NC 18-23)|
|Above: The next eight shades are fantastic for light-medium to medium skin tones (e.g., @N/NW/NC 25-33)|
|Above: The next eight shades work well with medium to medium-dark skin (e.g., @N/NW/NC 35-43)|
|Above: The final eight shades are excellent for dark to deep ebony skin tones (e.g., @N/NW/NC 45-55)|
The following images reflect MUFE Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation in #123 in various lighting situations...
Other products worn include:
- *Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer in Luminous Bronze (reviewed HERE)
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal (reviewed HERE)
- *La Prairie Cellular Performance Cream Blush in Peach Glow (reviewed HERE)
- By Terry Ombre Blackstar in a combination of Brown Perfection and Bronze Moon (reviewed HERE and HERE)
- *Guerlain Maxilash So Volume Mascara (reviewed HERE)
- *IT Cosmetics Smooth Fill Anti-Aging Lipstick in Love (pictured below)
|Above: The IT Cosmetics Smooth Fill Anti-Aging Lipstick is everything its moniker implies...smooth, blurring coverage that's translucent yet drenched with color.|
|Above: Swatches of all three IT Cosmetics Smooth Fill Anti-Aging Lipstick|
|Above: In outdoor backlit shade.|
|Above: In intense direct sunlight...note the nearly invisible HD coverage.|
|Above: In mixed outdoor lighting.|
|Above: In mixed outdoor lighting.|
|Above: In outdoor shade.|
|Above: In mixed outdoor lighting.|
|Above: Last look.|
Bottom Line: I hope you found this swatch-heavy overview of the MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD Foundation immeasurably helpful in your quest for the perfect base. As aforementioned, in my experience this fresh formula is has superior coverage and lasting power to the original release and the smooth, natural finish is kind to my sensitive skin. With 40 shades to choose from,
Have YOU tried the new MUFE Ultra HD Foundation? Thoughts?
Good things ahead, including a hair-centric feature, a preview of all shades of the MAKE UP FOREVER Ultra HD Foundation Stick (launching soon), a July Favorites video and a host of new product procurements. I hope your weekend is magnificent!
--The Beauty Professor
** PR samples provided for review denoted by an asterisk (the rest purchased by me), however, as always, all of my opinions are expressly and unequivocally my own.
© 2012-15 Beautyprofessor® All Rights Reserved. Do not copy, reprint or republish content and/or photos without author's written permission.