It is no secret that, while I love all beauty products, I have a serious weakness for exactly two things in the makeup world: foundation and nude lips. I am on a constant quest for the best in both categories and never grow weary of the pursuit. That being said, I am excited to share some lightweight winter foundation discoveries and nude lip color formulas in my current rotation!
Kindly scroll on for more details, swatches and images of the products in action as well as the Bottom Line...
|Lightweight base options.|
Although, in order to combat dryness, winter is known as a time for embracing our heavier lotions, serums and creams, it may be the best season to implement lighter foundation formulas, especially since our skin is generally getting maximum hydration with the boost in more moisturizing skincare. "Lightweight," however, does not necessarily mean "low coverage," and I've curated a list of 14 formulas--from extremely sheer to nearly full coverage--that embody weightlessness while still being entirely buildable.
|Super sheer options.|
// The Sheer // For good skin days and no makeup makeup moments.
- *Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base 01 Nude Radiance: New to my collection, this illuminator has skin-perfecting pearl particles to minimize flaws while imparting a delicate glow. Worn alone or mixed into a more matte foundation (to sheer it out and add radiance), this formula--which comes in two shades: the pale beige Nude Radiance and deeper bronze Golden Radiance--is stunningly versatile.
- *Le Metier de Beaute Peau Vierge #2 (reviewed HERE): An unmitigated favorite for years, I never want to be without this lightly tinted moisturizer, highlighter and anti-aging SPF formula. I wear #3 in the warmer months and wear #2 for the rest of the year. My mom wears #2 as her only foundation year round...it's a must-have in our family!
- Laura Mercier Candleglow Sheer Perfecting Powder #2 (reviewed HERE): Finely milled and slightly glowy, this powder offers light coverage and works well as a non-powdery touch up to even skin tone and banish shine later in the day. #2 works well for N/NC 20-30 skin.
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
// The Creams //
- Sulwhasoo Perfecting Cushion #25 (reviewed HERE + HERE): Consistently in my rotation, this cushion foundation boasts formidable SPF and a bouncy finish that yields significant coverage. Consequently, I love using it year round.
- *Veil Sunset Skin Foundation Medium 3N: Makeup Artist Sebastien Tardiff's gorgeous independent line, Veil, has finally released a foundation and I am thrilled. This plush and decadent whipped formula--which can be built to medium coverage--feels entirely weightless on the skin and is excellent for HD moments as it is undetectable once blended.
- *La Prairie Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal Transforming Cream SPF 30 (swatches of every shade +reviewed HERE): A resplendent fusion of color and skincare, this cream (which comes in 4 shades) bathes skin in moisture and anti-aging benefits while delivering natural, light-medium coverage. I can wear both Nude (shown below) and Beige, depending on the time of the year.
- Givenchy Teint Couture Balm Honey Beige: One of my latest acquisitions, this balm has fantastic reviews online and I am happy to add to the collection; with light-medium coverage and a creamy texture, it plays well with normal to combination skin and lasts all day.
- Surratt Beauty Surreal Real Skin Foundation #9 (swatches of every shade + reviewed HERE): Consistently in my top three foundation formulas of life, this remarkable creation's build ability ranges from light to nearly full coverage, is nearly waterproof and lasts from early morning to late night without requiring a touch up. Oh, and I should mention that your skin simply looks like really good skin when wearing it. Fragrance-free and marvelous for sensitive skin, I use it multiple times a week.
- *Giorgio Armani Crema Nuda #03 (swatches of other shades + reviewed HERE): Another skincare-foundation hybrid, this luxurious formula harnesses the transformative powers of the iconic Crema Nuda and fuses it with a tinted cloak of color for a brilliant no makeup makeup effect.
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
|Liquid foundation formulas.|
// The Liquids //
- *Thalgo Silicium Anti-Aging Foundation Natural: New on my radar, this foundation features ingredients that nourish skin and fight the visible signs of aging while providing a weightless veil of medium coverage.
- *Sisley-Paris Sisleya Le Teint in Linen (swatches of every shade + reviewed HERE): An opulent blend of skincare and beauty, this stunning foundation smoothes, lifts, brightens and conceals with one of the most exceptional textures on the market. Linen is my winter skin match!
- Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation #125 (swatches of every shade + reviewed HERE): A long time favorite, this dreamy foundation--brimming with healing waters--works well on sensitive skin and coverage can be customized from light to medium while being HD to the naked eye.
- *Le Metier de Beaute Afterglow Foundation #4 (swatches of every shade + reviewed HERE): Gently hydrating and slightly radiant, this latest formula from LMdB creates a soft focus finish with shades that flatter a spectrum of skin tones.
- Kevyn Aucoin The Etherealist Skin Illuminating Foundation #8 (swatches of every shade + reviewed HERE): With the most initial coverage of any of the foundations mentioned in this post, this unscented liquid formula is still has a lightweight texture that allows skin to breathe. Neither matte nor dewy, I would deem this a true natural finish.
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
// The Tools // The way that foundation is applied is just as important as the formula itself.
- *Artis Golden Palm Brush (reviewed HERE): I am over the moon for this luxurious brush; designed to fit in the palm of one's hand for maximum control, the densely packed fibers buff foundation into oblivion for a seamless finish.
- Beauty Blender: One of my favorite ways to apply foundation (like half of the world), I adore this black version as it doesn't seem to bleed any color from the sponge when being cleaned (I cannot say the same for its pink and purple predecessors) and I can get an incredible application in mere seconds. Every foundation lover needs a few of these within an arm's reach.
- *blendSMART (reviewed HERE): My latest foundation application discovery, I am intrigued by the way the spinning brush head effortlessly distributes and buffs foundation into the skin...the process is soothing and innovative to say the least.
|Components of the full look.|
// The Full Look // Just a few elements can make a profound difference in the final outcome.
- *La Solution 10 de Chanel: Excellent for sensitive skin, this exceptional moisturizer is comprised of just 10 ingredients, catering to temperamental canvases with grace and efficacy. I have been using it day and night as of late and deeply appreciate how balanced it makes my skin.
- *SK-II Facial LE Treatment Essence (reviewed HERE): This cult favorite is an essential for keeping my sensitive skin smooth and clear in the winter months; the temperature fluctuations and forced air heating (in my classroom) wreak havoc on my face but the FTE--applied twice a day--maintains a happy visage nonetheless.
- Tom Ford Winter Soleil Eye and Face Palette (swatches + review HERE): Eyes, cheeks and glow are under control in a single palette--I used the luminous and peachy eyeshadows on my eyes, focused the light coral blush on the apples of my cheeks and applied the highlighter on the high points of my face for a believable glow. Entirely worth the splurge, I will continue to reach for this palette all winter long!
- Chanel Rouge Allure Gloss Super Nude: Discussed in detail below, this LE glossy shade is a must for nude lip lovers.
|Eye look...courtesy of Tom Ford Winter Soleil Palette in Warm.|
|Swatch of Chanel Super Nude.|
|Nude lips on heavy rotation.|
// The Nude Lip Colors // I cannot get enough of the pinky, nude, beige, peach lip color--each unique undertone and finish completely justify what would seem like a completely irrational addition to one who is not familiar with the "quest for the nude lip."
- Chantecaille Lip Chic Suzy (reviewed HERE): A fully opaque pinky nude beige that deepens slightly upon application. So good.
- *Tom Ford Lips & Boys Evan (reviewed HERE): My favorite nude from the latest 25 releases, this shade has depth and a velvety matte finish.
- Clé de Peau Beauté Radiant Rouge #11 Lingerie (also available at CdPB and reviewed HERE): This trusty shade--half lip color, half gloss--is the quintessential warm nude; it wears well alone or over existing lip color for additional dimension. Oh, and it wears comfortably for hours.
- Marc Jacobs Le Marc Liquid Lip Creme Fawn Over Me: I was entranced by three things when I ordered this shade: (1) The shade, (2) the name and (3) the fact that is is a new lip formula in the Marc Jacobs Beauty lineup. I am truly happy with it overall...smooth and moisturizing with insane color payoff, this peachy pink is truly nude yet wearable.
- Marc Jacobs Le Marc Liquid Lip Creme Yours to Try: For a more dramatic take on nude lips, this pale warm beige punctuates the pout. I will wear it over darker lip liner to get the most mileage as it is quite light (even for this unapologetic nude lip lover) but those with very fair complexions will likely have found "their nude" in this shade.
- *Clinique Pop Matte Lip Color Cake Pop: Super pretty and very lush in texture, this classic pinky nude is hydrating and creates a full lip in seconds. Loving this.
- *Julie Hewett Bijoux Lipstick in Simone: My first foray into lip color by famed makeup artist Julie Hewett, I am terribly impressed by the delicate matte texture and peachy pink tone of this particular shade. It has a nearly pearly finish that looks amazing on the lips and, believe it or not, is absolutely unique in my vast nude lip color collection.
- *Nude Envie Mesmerize (reviewed HERE): If you are looking for a covet-worthy range of nude lip color, look no further than Nude Envie! This independent line features seven custom shades in the nude family--ranging from pale beige to cool nude pink--and the rich pinky peach Mesmerize is a personal favorite.
- *Le Metier de Beaute Moisture Matte Lip Color in Bijox (reviewed HERE): This mauve nude features a matte finish that still feels wildly moisturizing. Consequently, this shade is always in my handbag!
- Chanel Rouge Allure Gloss Super Nude: Purchased on a whim, I love the opaque yet glossy finish of this medium beige cream formula; there is no perceptible shimmer yet it leaves lips looking full and juicy...I wear it over a light pink lip liner for effortless lips that last all day.
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
|Swatches (top to bottom): Marc Jacobs Yours to Try and Fawn Over Me.|
The following images reflect all products in action in afternoon sunlight...Surratt Surreal Real Skin Foundation in #9 as a base and Marc Jacobs Le Marc Liquid Lip Creme in Fawn Over Me...sweater by Equipment France:
--Shop the Post--
Bottom Line: I hope you enjoyed this foundation and nude lip color-centric story and would love to know which formulas and shades caught YOUR eye. Do tell!
Good things ahead, including a Burberry Beauty Holiday feature and a bountiful, two-part Holiday Gift Guide for everyone on your list...
xx and thanks, as always, for reading,
--The Beauty Professor
**PR samples provided for review denoted by an asterisk (the rest purchased by me), however, as always, all of my opinions are expressly and unequivocally my own. © 2012-16 Beautyprofessor® All Rights Reserved. Do not copy, reprint or republish content and/or photos without author's written permission.