I'll never forget when I found out that a Surratt Beauty foundation formula was in development. As a massive proponent of this innovative brand (reviews HERE, HERE and HERE) and an unapologetic foundation-phile, I was over the moon at the prospect, earnest in my confidence that whatever base Troy Surratt created would be as phenomenal as the rest of the products in his eponymous line. Flash forward nearly two years and the foundation, which I have had the privilege of previewing, is now available online at Sephora, just in time for the VIB sale!
Consequently, I am thrilled to be able to offer a first look at this revolutionary release for which I have been constantly reaching...flawless medium coverage and one of the most stalwart, touch up-free formulas I have experienced to date, this is a foundation that indeed was worth the wait.
Kindly scroll on for more details, swatches of every shade and images of the foundation in action...
Housed in a streamlined, airtight tube for portability and ease of application, the *Surratt Beauty Surreal Real Skin Foundation is dispensed with the click of a button through an extremely efficient duo-fiber brush. As a rule, I am generally skeptical of foundations with attached brushes but am deeply delighted by how quickly and smoothly this brush blends the formula onto the face; it is an asset rather than a novelty.
Formula: The foundation is fragrance-free and does not contain any SPF (I will update with a full ingredients list as soon as I have it). I find this to be a rare combination in today's base releases and, as one who has sensitive skin, appreciate these ommissions. Texturally-speaking it feels creamy and has a bit of a bounce. It glides across the skin in a way that feels smooth and nourishing (rather than excessively silicon-y) and feels relatively weightless, even over the course of wear.
Coverage: Buildable from sheer, all the way to nearly full coverage, this foundation works for practically every desired outcome and layers like a dream. I prefer to distribute a couple of pumps all over my face for beautiful medium coverage and love how it blurs imperfections, minimizes pores and banishes dark spots and shadows while still looking entirely natural. Countless times during my testing period, I've been complimented on my skin (while wearing Surreal Skin Foundation)...it's that undectectable.
Finish: This foundation has a truly natural skin finish. Neither overly matte nor excessively dewy, it is nearly imperceptible once applied...it simply looks like really good skin. I have also found that it continues to look even better--perhaps just a touch glowier--as the hours pass. Magnifique.
Longevity: Remarkably, this foundation is completely self-setting; that is, one does not need to follow with a powder unless that is part of a desired aesthetic. Once it sets, it stays in place for an interminable amount of time; I have worn this foundation for 14-hour teaching days and marvel at how well it holds up. There is no migrating, pooling or obvious color transfer and my skin stays looking shockingly fresh over the course of wear. It may not be touted as long-wearing, but I can personally attest to the fact that its wear-time is noteworthy, even in heat and humidity...it's practically waterproof (an errant rainstorm helped me to make this assertion).
All in all, the Surratt Beauty Surreal Real Skin Foundation earns extraordinary marks in all of the categories by which I use to assess foundations. It is easy to apply, has versatile, buildable coverage and a flattering natural finish, is kind to sensitive skin and possesses tremendous lasting power. To say that I am smitten would be a serious understatement!
- Innovative new component dispenses the foundation through an angled brush for effortless application and quick touch-ups
- Oil-free, self-setting formula gives optimal skin-perfecting coverage with a longwearing, natural finish that is virtually undetectable
- Surreally perfect skin instantaneously appears with the push of a button and the wave of a wand...skin tone evens and pores and fine lines mysteriously disappear
A skin-perfecting foundation wand that’s a foundation and a brush in one.
What it does:
The Surreal Real Skin Foundation Wand leaves your skin looking flawless. Its innovative design makes application easy, and it instantly melts into skin, reducing the look of pores and fine lines. With a number of shades to choose from, it’s perfect for every skintone. This foundation features a surreal, self-setting, oil-free formula that provides an invisible, medium-to-full coverage and a long-wearing finish. It dispenses foundation through an antibacterial brush for effortless application and quick touch ups.
What else you need to know:
Surratt Beauty is dedicated to the Japanese tradition of minimal elegance. The space-saving packaging is designed to be lightweight and secure, and it is recyclable.
-Prime the foundation wand by clicking the button until you see foundation appear in the brush.
-Beginning at the center of the face, where discoloration most often occurs, blend onto forehead, nose, and chin. Brush outwardly with short, feathery strokes.
-Layer on this buildable formula in areas that may need additional coverage.
-Replace the cap carefully to keep brush from splaying.
-For lasting wear, set the foundation with the Surratt’s award-winning Diaphane Loose Powder in Matte or Éclatant (sold separately and REVIEWED HERE)
To keep the brush tip from splaying, replace the cap carefully:
-Align the long side of the brush tip with the inside bottom wall of the cap, then carefully scoop the hairs into the cap before snapping closed.
-For top performance, shampoo the brush with gentle soap once a month.
Ingredients: Water, Cyclope-Ntasiloxane, Diphenylsiloxy Phenyl Trimethicone, Triethy-Lhexanoin, Peg-9 Polydimeth-Ylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, B-utylene Glycol, Pentylene G-Lycol, Disteardimonium Hect-Orite, Cetyl Peg / Ppg-10 / 1 Dim-Ethicone, Sodium Chloride, Vinyl Dimethicone / Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Silica, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, P-Hytosteryl / Octyldodecyl Lauroyl Glutamate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Dimethicone / Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Tocopherol, Hydrogen Dimethicone. May Contain (+/) Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Talc, Dimethicone, Aluminum Hydroxide, Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Iron Oxides (Ci 77499), StearIc Acid.
Onto the swatches...
The Surratt Beauty Surreal Real Skin Foundation comes in an impressive spectrum of 15 shades ensuring that most will find their ideal match. With a diversity of undertones and levels of depth, I appreciate how inclusive this formula is!
Shade Descriptions (per my experience):
- 01: Very fair with a balance of pink and yellow undertones...leans yellow (@N/NC 10-15)
- 02: Very fair with a balance of pink and yellow undertones...leans peachy(@N/NW 15)
- 03: Fair to light beige with neutral to peach undertones (@N/NC/NW 20-23)
- 04: Light beige with peachy and golden undertones (@N/NC 23-23)
- 05: Light-medium beige with yellow undertones (@N/NC 23-25) **My current match
- 06: Medium beige with neutral to rosy undertones (@N/NW 27--30)
- 07: Medium beige with warm peachy undertones (@N/NC 33-35))
- 08: Medium beige with golden yellow undertones (@N/NC 30-33)
- 09: Tan beige with warm golden undertones (@N/NC 35)
- 10: Tan beige with yellow golden undertones (@N/NC/NW 35)
- 11: Caramel beige with golden ochre undertones (@N/NC/NW 40)
- 12: Honey beige with golden ochre undertones (@N/NW 45-50)
- 13: Amber beige with golden undertones (@N/NC 42-45)
- 14: Bronze light brown beige with golden undertones (N/NC 50)
- 15: Bronze medium brown beige with neutral to rosy undertones (N/NW 52-55)
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
To showcase Surratt Beauty Surreal Real Skin Foundation, I combined it with the following products:
- *Chantecaille Compact Soleil in St. Barth (reviewed HERE)
- Sephora Luminizing Drops in Morning Light (reviewed HERE)
- *Surratt Beauty Artistique Blush in Barbe A Papa (reviewed HERE)
- *Marc Jacobs Beauty x Neiman Marcus Social Butterfly Palette (reviewed HERE)
- *Surratt Beauty Autographique Eyeliner (reviewed HERE)
- Surratt Beauty Automatique Lip Crayon in Scantilly Clad (reviewed HERE)
- *Smith + Cult Nail Lacquer in The Graduate (reviewed HERE)
- Surratt Beauty Relevee Mascara and Lash Curler
- *Bulgari Eau Parfumee Au The Blanc
- *Gloss Moderne High-Gloss Serum (reviewed HERE)
The following images reflect all products in action in outdoor shade (jumpsuit from ASOS)...
We also shot the foundation again a couple of days later in direct afternoon sunlight to offer additional perspective. All makeup details are the same as above except I used Surratt Beauty Prismatique Eyes in Neutral Eyes (reviewed HERE) on the eyes and Surratt Beauty Lipslique in Fee Soie (reviewed HERE) on the lips. Shirt by Equipment France.
--Shop the Post--
Bottom Line: I hope you found this Surratt Beauty Surreal Real Skin Foundation feature immensely useful; once I had the chance to experience the efficacy of this formula, I couldn't wait to share my experience and create swatches of every shade for my lovely and loyal Beauty Professor readers!
The Surratt Beauty Surreal Real Skin Foundation is every bit as magnificent as I had dreamed it would be...buildable and long-wearing with a gorgeous skin finish, it is beyond exciting to see this formula come to fruition.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this new foundation and welcome your questions...please leave them in the comments section so we can discuss!
Good things ahead including a travel beauty story, a Decorte Beauty feature and a host of new product procurements!
--The Beauty Professor
** PR samples provided for review denoted by an asterisk (the rest purchased by me), however, as always, all of my opinions are expressly and unequivocally my own. © 2012-15 Beautyprofessor® All Rights Reserved. Do not copy, reprint or republish content and/or photos without author's written permission.