I have always been intrigued by makeup but, during the early years of my life, I wasn't really allowed to wear it. Ever prioritizing the natural over the artificial, my parents (who, in retrospect, were extremely wise for their outlook) permitted me a short list of products in my teens. When my classmates were wearing MAC StudioFix (likely a shade too light) all over their face and deep wine colored lips, I was eschewing foundation while embracing a touch of Clinique blush (for a healthy glow) and pale pink lips. Fast forward many years later and I possess, of course, all of the makeup freedom in the world. Ironically, however, I cannot seem to get enough of the pink lip! Its ability to instantly brighten up the face while working well in day and evening settings make it the ultimate shade. Consequently, this post is dedicated to seven shades of pink that light up your life in a single coat.
Kindly scroll on for more details, swatches and images of the lip color in action as well as the Bottom Line...
|Rodin Luxury Lipstick in Mod and Winks. A host of antique Lucite bracelets (also pictured) can be found HERE.|
Up first are two gems from Rodin:
(1) Rodin Luxury Lipstick in Mod (also reviewed HERE): The moment I saw that Linda Rodin was releasing lip color, I patiently stalked their launch with a careful eye on the gloriously nude shade Mod. Brimming with luxurious ingredients and drenched with pigment, this formula is smooth and creamy (read: not an ounce of shimmer) and makes lips look their best for hours. Mod is a pinky nude beige that looks lovely on its own; I, however adore mixing it with Winks (discussed below) for an interesting take on a pink lip. These lipsticks are all I hoped they would be and more!
(2) Rodin Luxury Lipstick in Winks (also reviewed HERE): Totally out of my comfort zone but ever so fascinating (as it is named for Linda Rodin's beloved poodle, Winks), I added this bright pink shade to my basket on a capricious whim. Here are my findings: the color payoff is insane and the bright fuchsia shade is surprisingly wearable. I love how it photographs and, though I have yet to wear it alone in real life, I adore mixing it with Mod for a bright and creamy pink pout. This shade is a must for those who have a propensity for bold, fuchsia tones.
|Swatches in direct sunlight...I love mixing the two shades for the perfect medium pink.|
|Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips in Secret Salma and Kim KW.|
Next are two stunning options from the recently released Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips Collection:
(3) *Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lip in Kim KW (reviewed HERE): A creamy pinky nude with intense color payoff, this lip color creates a pale beige lip for moments that call for such a look. I prefer to combine it with a medium nude lip liner and a touch of gloss for the ultimate in staying power.
(4) *Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips in Secret Salma (reviewed HERE): Technically not a pink (but close enough), this medium rose hue bathes lips in a berry wash that, even for this nude lover, doesn't feel "too dark." I am surprised by how much I love it!
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
|The color of the bullet is exactly what the result is on the lips.|
Finally, here are three translucent and luminous options for a radiant pink lip:
(5) *Sisley-Paris Phyto Lip Twist in #11 Sugar (formula also reviewed HERE): Always in my purse, this shiny formula delivers a lovely balance of color and shine for foolproof application on the go; the retractable bullet further enhances its portability. The cool baby pink Sugar shade works just as well with a bare face as it does with a dramatic smoky eye. So good.
(6) Tom Ford Lip Color in Sweet Mystery (also reviewed HERE): I picked this interesting shimmering shade up on a whim and am consistently compelled by its warm pinky beige sheen. With plenty of foil luminosity and a creamy, opaque finish, it looks amazing over nude lip liner or a too-dark lipstick. It's a perfect early 1970's shade a la Ali McGraw in Love Story.
(7) Marc Jacobs Beauty Enamored Hi-Shine Lip Gloss in Pink Flamingo (formula also reviewed HERE): I love this gloss formula...plush and slightly minty, it has plenty of pigment and a non sticky finish that is, as the name implies, super shiny. Pink Flamingo is an excellent light neutral pink.
|Swatches in direct sunlight.|
|Swatches of all seven lip color.|
|The full face.|
I combined the seven lip color options with key products to create a clean and glowing summer look:
- *James Read H2O Rosewater Tan Mist: With hydrating and revitalizing ingredients and subtle self-tanning properties, this mist--which is the quintessential companion to the warmer months--is the best of both worlds.
- *Christophe Robin Intense Regenerating Balm (also reviewed HERE): Just a touch of this nourishing balm adds shine and control to hair. This compact jar is always in my purse!
- *Surratt Beauty Surreal Real Skin Foundation #9 (reviewed HERE):
- By Terry Sun Designer Palette #2 (reviewed HERE): I have majorly hit pan (which is extremely rare) on this palette and have since procured a backup. With bronzing, contouring, blush and highlighting capabilities, this palette does it all and beautifully at that! I cannot recommend it enough.
- *Chikuhodo GSN 04 Brush (reviewed HERE): My favorite multipurpose brush for blush and bronzer, it is fluffy yet blends precisely for a diffused finish.
- *Tom Ford Nightbloom Powder (reviewed HERE): An utterly stunning fall release from the always opulent Tom Ford, this golden powder is sunlight in a compact. The warm gold tone is sure to flatter a spectrum of skin tones and the finely milled formula creates a gossamer veil on one's visage. A full review of the Tom Ford Orchid Collection can be found HERE and my own swatch heavy review is coming up on Beauty Professor soon!
- *Wayne Goss Airbrush (reviewed HERE): This brush is so magnificent, especially for blending highlighter to a nearly invisible (texturally speaking) finish.
- *Surratt Beauty Prismatique Eyes in Real Eyes (reviewed HERE): The ultimate pale nude taupe duo, this clever stacking compact features a rich and opaque cream shadow (that instantly brightens the eyes) and a glimmering powder shadow to set said cream while imparting glorious radiance.
- *Toppik Brow Building Fibers in Medium Brown: Clever doesn't begin to describe this brow-enhancing formula; with microfibers that mimic the appearance of hair (thereby adding fullness and depth to brows) and a clear wax for holding everything in place, this two-step option is cutting edge and effective for creating voluminous and defined eyebrows.
- *By Terry Line Designer in Black Ink (reviewed HERE: One of my top two liquid liner formulas (the other is Surratt Autographique), this fluid liner creates an indelible, waterproof stroke of definition that stays in place all day.
- *Maybelline Spider Effect Mascara (reviewed HERE): Two coats consistently create lush, long and full, ultra-dark lashes. Love this formula!
|Hair, skin and brows.|
|The *James Read H20 Mist refreshes the skin while creating a subtle tan.|
|*Toppik Brow Fibers...for extremely natural looking (and fuller!) brows.|
|For the face.|
|Swatches of the By Terry Sun Designer #2...a full face in a single palette.|
|A swatch of the *Surratt Beauty Surreal Real Skin Foundation in #9...this is a perfect match for my NC 27 summer skin.|
|The *Tom Ford Nightbloom Powder imparts a delicate and pure golden glow.|
|A swatch in direct sunlight...golden gleam, indeed.|
|*Surratt Prismatique Eyes in Real Eyes is a warm pale taupe for a clean and modern eye look.|
|A swatch of Real Eyes in direct sunlight.|
|Also on the eyes, *By Terry Line Designer in Black Ink (reviewed HERE) and *Maybelline Spider Effect Mascara (reviewed HERE).|
The following images reflect all products (and lip color) in action...also wearing a Madewell V Neck and collar necklace by Eddie Borgo:
|Wearing Rodin Luxury Lipstick in Mod.|
|Wearing Rodin Luxury Lipstick in Winks.|
|Wearing *Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips in Kim KW.|
|Wearing *Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips in Secret Salma.|
|Wearing *Sisley-Paris Phyto Twist Lip Color in Candy.|
|Wearing Tom Ford Lip Color in Sweet Mystery.|
|Wearing Marc Jacobs Lip Gloss in Pink Flamingo.|
|So many lipsticks, so little time.|
--Shop the Post--
Bottom Line: I hope you enjoyed this lipstick-centric story and would love to know which pink lipsticks you've been loving as of late. Do tell!
Good things ahead, including a travel skincare and beauty feature, a streamlined FOTD and a host of new fall releases. I am currently in the midst of travel (follow along on Instagram for the in-the-moment updates!) so my response time on emails and comments (both on the blog and social media) may be prolonged. Please know I'm reading and appreciating everything and will respond as soon as I am able!
Hope your August is going well thus far...xx and more soon,
--The Beauty Professor
** PR samples provided for review denoted by an asterisk (the rest purchased by me), however, as always, all of my opinions are expressly and unequivocally my own. © 2012-16 Beautyprofessor® All Rights Reserved. Do not copy, reprint or republish content and/or photos without author's written permission.