The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale has finally arrived! Early access for Nordstrom cardholders runs through 7/21/16 and the sale will be open to the public on 7/22/16. The merchandise is brand new with a fresh fall focus and the savings are immense. I have found that shopping the sale as early as possible is wildly beneficial as the most alluring deals tend to sell out quickly. Consequently, I am excited to offer a visual shopping list for the sale, featuring classic yet modern pieces and a restrained beauty edit.
Also, since I have been testing the magnificent, soon-to-be-released *Hourglass Vanish Seamless Foundation Stick (also soon to be available at Sephora), I wanted to share a round of preliminary swatches of all hues to assist in shade matching (full review forthcoming).
Kindly scroll on for my #NSale style and beauty picks and a glimpse of ALL shades of the Vanish Foundation as well the Bottom Line...
When I shop for clothes, I like to pull pieces that create outfits; this guarantees that I will actually wear the garments as they are already a part of a larger "mix." In turn, my Nordstrom Anniversary Sale purchases constitute exactly four outfits and endless possibilities.
OUTFIT #1: Classic + Casual
- Rag & Bone Dre Boyfriend Jeans (also reviewed HERE): This pair of denim has an easy fit that walks the line between skinny jean and extra baggy endeavor. Depending on the shoe, they can be dressed up or down and the fact that I have four pairs should authenticate my affinity for this particular cut. I can wear both a 24 and 25 in this style.
- Free People Oversized Open Back Top: I haven't yet met an open back that I do not like...there is just something so unique and refreshing about the style. You can show a little skin while still being basically covered up (in front). This drapey knit sweater has generous lines and a twisted back that pairs well with jeans. Light and breathable yet able to generate a bit of warmth, I know I'll be throwing this effortless sweater on all summer. I bought this in an XS/S which was quite roomy.
- Paul Green Julia D'Orsay Pump: These shoes were love at first sight. I adore the Paul Green line (modern, minimalist and comfortable) and getting them on sale is a rapturous event. This slim pair of near-flats--which run true to size--have soft and supple leather and a darling kitten heel...all at once chic and vintage, these were made for my long days of lecturing.
The images above and below illustrate the *Hourglass Vanish Seamless Foundation Stick in the shade Sand, which is an excellent match for my NC 27 skin. The fragrance-free formula does an impeccable job of lasting in the summertime heat and humidity (it purports to be waterproof and long wearing) and offers buildable coverage with a skin finish. Although I will put it through a few more trials before preparing my official review, my initial impressions are extremely favorable...very. very. impressed. On the lips, I am wearing a generous dose of the new *Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips in Liv It Up (reviewed HERE)...it's an incredible cool, slightly lilac-tinged pink cream.
|All 26 shades of the Hourglass Vanish Foundation...click on image to enlarge.|
|Hourglass Vanish Foundation in Sand.|
OUTFIT #2: Timeless + Feminine
- Diane Von Furstenberg Arabella Striped Dress: I am not sure what drew me to this dress...was it the neutral color palette? The silken fabric? The fact that I own absolutely nothing like it? Perhaps I will never fully clarify my motivations...all I know for certain is that I love it. Neither too short nor too long, the gossamer fabric (100% silk) dances with the wind and the bow at the neck has a timeless appeal. Usually a size 2, I bought this in a size 4 for a bit of extra room in the armpit area ; )
- Pikolinos Andorra Boot in Cuero: Embellished with a simple side tassel, this luggage-toned boot is supremely comfortable and pairs well with the sea of black that I have in my wardrobe. They are just as at home with a dress as with a pair of cutoffs (with which I will be wearing them all summer) and the heel offers a touch of height without crossing the casual line. True to size.
OUTFIT #3: Work (and Play) Appropriate
- Topshop Slouchy Coat: At under $90, this coat is a veritable steal; with an oversized cut (I am wearing a size 2), large pockets and a flexible and flowing woven fabric, I am still astounded at the deal!
- Socialite Knit Tank in Coco: Clean, basic and impeccably soft, this terracotta toned sleeveless tee fulfills my constant earthtones yearning. I sized up to a medium for a more voluminous fit.
- Topshop Grossgrain Belted Peg Trousers: This classic pair of pants in a muted chartreuse feature a high waist, luxe ribbon belt and fresh ankle-grazing length. In my experience Topshop pants run small so I bought these in a US size 6 which was perfect.
- Paul Green Julia D'Orsay Pump...making another appearance, these gems are going to get a lot of wear!
OUTFIT #4: My Uniform
My fourth outfit arriving by mail any day now as my local Nordstrom didn't have the pieces in stock. It consists of the FRAME Denim Le High Straight Jeans with a fresh staggered hem and the Equipment France Leema Striped Cotton Shirt with a playful cat spot pocket. Will feature the combination on BP as soon as possible!
// BEAUTY //
I picked up three exclusive sets and a couple of limited-edition pieces from Dior...scroll on for descriptions and swatches!
|The Instant Beauty Palette is back, this time with new shades that resonate with a captivating Dolce Vita look.|
- Charlotte Tilbury Instant Beauty Palette The Dolce Vita Look: Originally, when I saw this in the preview catalog, I thought it was a re-release of the sold out Instant Look in a Palette (reviewed HERE), however upon closer inspection, I discovered that it was an entirely different, albeit equally versatile, set of shades. The chief difference resides in the undertone and finish of the shadows and blushes. Unlike the original palette (which is mostly matte in nature), all three eyeshadows have a complex satin finish that glows without being the slightest bit glittery. The bronzers in both palettes look similar, though I am apt to state that the Dolce Vita Bronzer is a bit cooler (more brown) than the one in the original palette (which leans a touch warmer). However, the cheek color in the Dolce Vita look are more radiant and markedly warmer--leaning towards apricot, if you will--than the cool, dusty rose toned shades in the original. I much prefer the cheek color in this new palette to the super muted matte tones of the first installment. Finally, the highlighter in the Dolce Vita palette appears to be a bit rosier--almost a subtle rose gold--in contrast to champagne pearl tone of the original. If you missed the palette in the first release, I think you will be glad you waited for this launch...I find the texture of the powders to be more buttery and I love the incandescent radiance and undertones of this group of hues!
|Dolce Vita Look swatches in direct sunlight.|
|A side by side comparison of the Dolce Vita Palette (II) and the original Instant Look in a Palette (I), released earlier this year.|
- NARS Survival I Kit: This charming little set features a compact with two shimmering neutral eyeshadows (Naiad and Kalahari) and two blushes (Mata Hari--shimmering peach and Off Limits--bold matte pink) as well as a mini Audacious Mascara and one pigmented pink gloss (Party Girl--bright candy pink). I appreciate the ease and wearability of the tones of the powders and the gloss is a delightful surprise. It is bright without being over the top and the moisturizing formula keeps lips in tip top shape for hours. Full look with this set forthcoming!
|NARS Survival I Kit.|
- Charlotte Tilbury Mesmerizing Smoky Eye Duo in Dark Pearl and Champagne Diamonds: Highly pigmented and inordinately long lasting, these rich shadow sticks blend over eyelids to create a sultry, smoky look punctuated by a glistening satin finish. I am particularly partial to this ultra-neutral duo. Dark Pearl is a lush bronzey brown and Champagne Diamonds is a warm and radiant fawn tone. Worn separately or (as I prefer) blended together, this pair will deliver a flattering and (indelible!) impact.
- Christian Dior Hydra-Gel Core Mirror Shine Lipstick in #255 Baby Dior: This sweet pink balm-meets-sheer lip color offers intense hydration and a subtle luminosity that looks sophisticated and decidedly unfussy. Tres magnifique!
- Christian Dior Flash Luminizer Radiance Pen in #800 Pearly Pink: With a tender rosy glow, this highligher instantly delivers a subtle gleam to the skin. The formula feels like a light gel and blends seamlessly (making capturing a compelling swatch on film quite a challenge) for a lit-from-within-look.
--Shop the Post--
Bottom Line: I hope you found this Nordstrom Anniversary Sale visual shopping list useful as you navigate one of the most hotly anticipated retail events of the year! I, for one, am extremely pleased with my purchases as they are versatile enough to wear to work and don on the weekends. Remember that Early Access for Nordstrom cardholders only runs through 7/21/16 and the sale will be open to the public on 7/22/16, with prices going up on August 8th!
What will YOU be picking up at the sale?
Good things ahead, including an extensive review of the Hourglass Vanish Foundation (also soon to be available at Sephora) and a host of new product procurements!
--The Beauty Professor
** PR samples provided for review denoted by an asterisk (the rest purchased by me), however, as always, all of my opinions are expressly and unequivocally my own. © 2012-16 Beautyprofessor® All Rights Reserved. Do not copy, reprint or republish content and/or photos without author's written permission.