|Above: Long hair doesn't have to be high-maintenance! Twist Front Maxi-Dress is ASTR available at Nordstrom.|
Taking care of one's hair can feel like a full time job...from washing and conditioning to styling and maintaining, a full, healthy mane is definitely a time investment. That being said, I've discovered a few a few short cuts, perfect for trimming down the time spent keeping one's hair in check...not only are these gems pragmatic, they also help hair to thrive!
|Above: These products save time while beautifying the hair.|
Kindly scroll on for my seven hair hacks...
|Above: The Winks by Georgie Beauty Ultimate Lash Curler harnesses the power blue chamomile.|
(1) The Winks by Georgie Beauty Ultimate Lash Curler: now I completely acknowledge that eyelashes may not be first thing one thinks of when the word "hair" is spoken. Lashes, however, are indeed hair and this lash curler does a magnificent job of both curling and nourishing these delicate follicles.
|Above: This curler comes with two replacement pads.|
Featuring a plush gel pad infused with USDA-certified organic chamomile, this styling tool gently curls without crimping and delivers hair-strengthening properties from this wonder plant. Instead of risking damage when curling, this device can actually improve lashes. Brilliant!
|Above: "Curling in the chamomile."|
|Above: The Tangle Teezer...it may look like a simple handheld brush but the results are life-changing.|
(2) The Tangle Teezer: I have already shared my love of this incredible brush (posts found HERE and HERE) but if this isn't a time-saving "hair hack," I don't know what is!
|Above: The flexible bristles detangle the most knotted of manes (like mine!)|
The flexible, variegated bristles painlessly glide through the thickest, most tangled hair with ease, making the the unpleasant process of brushing an expeditious experience. With this miracle worker, I can brush through my long hair, even directly following a shower. I am fairly certain I am saving hours each month due to the Tangle Teezer!
|Above: Double-duty...grooming eyebrows and taming flyways with a single swipe.|
(3) Billion Dollar Brows A Hint of Tint Brow Gel: Do you find baby hairs vexing but don't want to douse your hair with hairspray to get those errant follicles under control? Previously reviewed HERE, this brow-grooming formula can also be used in a pinch to tame flyways along the part, without the frozen stiff aftermath of hairspray. The taupe shade is light and sheer enough to seamlessly blend in with most hair colors and the mascara wand allows for precise control of application...necessity is, indeed the mother of invention.
|Above: Reduced drying time and shine...yes, please!|
(4) DermOrganic Leave-In Spray Therapy (reviewed HERE): This vegan, cruelty, sulfate, paraben and cruelty-free formula is infused with Argan Oil to condition, detangle, banish frizz, reduce drying time, protect from heat treatments (like the straightening iron) and add shine. A few sprays following a shower leaves my hair healthy and manageable and the reduced drying time alone (truly magical!) makes this formula an utterly worthy investment.
|Above: Colour Bunz...great for, but not only for, professional hairstylists!|
(5) Colour Bunz: Although I don't color my hair, I couldn't complete this post without mentioning Colour Bunz, especially for those that do! These soft, foam cylinders have a ridged core to hold color-treated or highlighted strands in place and separate from other hair sections. Hairstylists have lauded this invention as a marvelous replacement for foils and those who prefer to highlight, lowlight or ombre at home will find that that Colour Bunz are a great tool for perfect placement and product maximization (the foam keeps color from drying out).
|Above: The Colour Bunz are very easy to place in the hair.|
Simply take a small section of hair, cover it in the color or lightening formula as desired and slide it into the groove of the Colour Bunz...the cylinder will keep the product from spreading to hair you'd like to keep virgin and they can be washed and used again for future sessions! Colour Bunz can also add volume to hairstyles and be an excellent base for a ballerina bun (just bobby pin the cylinder together to create a donut shape first). A truly innovative invention for hairstylists and the rest of us!
|Above: Moroccanoil Root Boost...volume in a slender can.|
(6) Moroccanoil Root Boost: For days when hair is flat and hot rollers (like the ones reviewed HERE and HERE) are not an option, this spray is a divine solution. For markedly fuller hair, I flip my head upside down and spray this as close to my roots as possible, moving my fingers through the hair to distribute it as evenly as I can. A flip back up and a few "fluffs" and my hair is instantly more voluminous. Using this spray in tandem with a blowdryer further enhances the results, making even fine and limp hair more like a lion's mane!
|Above: Some of my "hair" supplements.|
(7) Hair Supplements: I must preface this section by making it abundantly clear that I am neither a doctor nor a nutritionist and am merely sharing what works for me. As with any product, cosmetic or medicinal, individual results may vary and before taking a supplement, it is always a wise idea to consult your physician first. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, I am happy to address a frequent question I get from readers regarding vitamins that may be good for long, healthy hair. I regularly take a combination of the following products to nourish and support thriving hair:
- Solaray Once Daily High Energy Multi-Vita-Min: I have taken a multi-vitamin since I was a small child and personally attest to the value of a daily supplement to help with overall well-being including immunity, skin health and hair strength. This formula is a favorite because of its easy, "one capsule daily" dose; the Vitamin B and added PABA and Inosital are superb for keeping hair strong and shiny.
- Solaray B-Complex: When we are stressed, our body runs through our inherent Vitamin B supply; incidentally, our hair feeds off of our vitamin B reserve. Consequently, a stressful life without additional Vitamin B intake can lead to a compromised head of hair. During my senior year of high school, I experienced this dynamic first hand; I had been extremely stressed due to a swath of AP exams and, at the time (because everything is more dramatic in high school, no?) an upsetting break up and noticed that I was losing MUCH more hair than usual. It was coming out in the shower and gathering in my hair brush at an alarming rate. My parents called our nutritionist and, after explaining the stress-Vitamin B-hair health relationship, he suggested an immediate influx of Vitamin B complex. Truly, within taking regular doses every few hours (one cannot overdose on Vitamin B, the excess is merely eliminated through our system), my hair stopped falling out. I have never seen a natural remedy work so quickly to ameliorate a seemingly insurmountable problem and I have been an avid believer in and consumer of Vitamin B complex (two capsules a day) ever sense, especially because adult life really hasn't become less stressful ; )
- NutriCology Biotin 5000: This special, water-soluable version of Vitamin B7 is purported to strengthen hair and nails through cell growth and metabolization of fats and amino acids. I take one capsule daily and am notice a difference, especially in the strength of my nails, when I skip multiple dosages.
- BioSil Liquid (also in capsule form): Widely considered the "gold-standard" in Silicon supplements, the BioSil Liquid can be mixed into water or juice for immediate absorption. In all honesty, it doesn't taste great, but the fact that it contains three "beauty proteins" (Collagen, Keratin and Elastin) which, in turn, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, thicken and strengthens hair and fortify nails makes a mildly unpleasant swig completely doable. I take this liquid a couple of times a week as time permits.
|Above: Long, healthy hair requires some effort, but the payoff is well worth it!|
Bottom Line: I hope you found these "hair hacks" helpful and would to hear about YOUR time-saving tips and tricks for thriving hair. I cannot believe this is the last day in June...summer, please slow down! My "June Favorites" video will be live later on this week and new lipstick, foundation and skincare posts are in the works!
--The Beauty Professor
**Some PR samples provided for review (the rest bought by me), however, as always, all of my opinions are expressly and unequivocally my own.
© 2012-14 Beautyprofessor® All Rights Reserved. Do not copy, reprint or republish content and/or photos without author's written permission.