|Above: The YSL Fusion Ink Foundation has arrived!|
After a couple of weeks of trial, I am ready to weigh in on recently-released the YSL Fusion Ink Foundation (currently available at Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Sephora, Bloomingdales, Bergdorf Goodman, Saks and Selfridges). I initially discussed my first impressions in THIS video, have mentioned in my latest article for the Neiman Marcus publication, the blog, and now am excited to offer my review as well as swatches of EVERY shade offering.
Kindly scroll on for more details, swatches of each shade, shade descriptions, a discussion of my new favorite NARS Audacious Lipstick, Raquel and images of the YSL Fusion Ink + NARS Raquel on the face as well as the Bottom Line...
|Above: The YSL Fusion Ink is housed in a square glass bottle with a wand applicator.|
To concisely communicate my feelings on this formula, I will focus on some clear characteristics of the foundation in terms of texture/coverage, finish, wear and overall impressions:
- This formula is incredibly light...it reminds me a lot of the Giorgio Armani Maestro (reviewed HERE) but offers significantly more coverage (medium, buildable to full) and performs more like the Cle de Peau Radiant Fluid.
- Four strokes of the wand on the top of my hand provides my entire face (I prefer to apply with a damp Beauty Blender) with medium coverage.
- The finish is truly beautiful...a soft matte finish that adopts a bit of glow over time without defaulting to oiliness.
- It blurs imperfections, diffuses light and perfects the canvas without utilizing any obvious light-reflecting properties.
- I love the way it truly "fuses" with the skin...if you can find your shade match, you will likely experience flawless results.
- I get a good 8+ hours of wear time before feeling the need to blot or touch up with a bit of powder.
- No pooling into pores, no creasing, no migrating...it might transfer to a cell phone screen (but what doesn't?) but I would deem it decently adherent to the skin.
- The first time I wore this foundation, I attended a wedding on a very hot day; this formula withstood heat, humidity, eating, dancing and late hours like a champ. I only added a touch of powder about 8 hours into my day and noticed that it photographed beautifully, even after an extended period of wear.
- I am very impressed with this formula...it is currently in my top three foundaiton rotation (along with the Tom Ford Traceless Perfecting and Cle de Peau Radiant Fluid) and I will likely move from B-40 Sand (the perfect match for my current N/NC 27-30 skin) to B-30 Almond when my summer tan fades.
- The shade range is great...three different undertones (BR=Rosy, B=Neutral and BD=Warm) from the fairest ivory to the darkest, richest mocha, I think that most will have success in discovering a befitting shade match.
- It does have the typical YSL cucumber fragrance, but I find it to be less strong than other YSL base formulas and it dissipates within a couple of minutes. I am generally opposed to scent in foundation, but my extra sensitive skin hasn't been bothered by this fragrance.
- This is a marvelous option for one seeking an extremely light texture, medium (buildable to full) coverage, a soft matte finsih and marvelous lasting power.
Official product details, courtesy of Neiman Marcus
FEELS LIKE A FEATHER. WEARS LIKE AN INK.
A REVOLUTIONARY FORMULA
NO MORE COMPROMISE. This feather light foundation wears effortlessly for soft-matte finish, all day comfort with broad spectrum SPF 18 protection. Its hybrid stain technology provides a formula that is as thin and lightweight as ink yet covering as a foundation. Exclusive extendable polymers allow for buildable coverage with long wear results without ever feeling heavy on skin. An unmatched revolution in foundation.
- At the heart of this exceptional formula is a sensorial and volatile dry oil complex which allows for exceptionally fast application in a matter of seconds with flawless finish.
- Color: this formula is made of pure micro-coated pigments delivering long lasting color and radiance all day long.
- Actives: special sweat and sebum control agents allow for 24 hours of perfection regardless of humidity, heat, night and day.
- Soft matte perfection: the extreme absorbing powder filler provide a natural soft matte finish without ever looking or feeling cakey.
- Formula adapted to every skin type. The exclusive face zoning applicator allows you to perfectly zone the face for precise and effortless application.
Never cakey or heavy, Fusion Ink wears flawlessly for 24 hours.
Feel the difference of all day perfection and freedom.
Available in 21 shades.
|Above: Comparison swatches of summer foundations I've been using as of late.|
|Above: Behold...NARS Audacious Lipstick in Raquel, a creamy beige-pink-peach.|
Since I am wearing this shade in my foundation-focused pictures at the end of this post, I couldn't help but offer a glimpse of the stunning NARS Audacious Lipstick in Raquel (currently available at Barney's NY and NARS.com), a light, extremely creamy and opaque beige-pink-peach. This is perhaps the most perfect nude I have ever encountered! I've said everything necessary about this magnificent new formula HERE and HERE so I will let the images of Raquel speak for themselves...
|Above: A swatch of Raquel in direct sunlight.|
|Above: Raquel alone on the lips.|
Onto the YSL Fusion Ink swatches...shade descriptions per my experience:
|Above: The BR shades in direct sunlight.|
The BR shades have a rosy undertone, appropriate for cool skin tones:
BR-20 Cool Ivory: For fair, cool skin that is approximately NW 10-15
BR-30 Cool Almond: For light skin that is approximately NW 20-25
BR-40 Cool Sand: For medium skin that is approximately NW 27-30
BR-50 Cool Honey: For medium-dark skin that is approximately NW 35-40
|Above: The BR shades in ourdoor shade.|
|Above: The B shades in outdoor sunlight.|
The B shades have neutral (an even mix of pink and yellow) undertones for neutral skin:
B-10 Porcelain: For fair skin that is approximately N/NC10
B-20 Ivory: For fair-light skin that is approximately N/NC 15-20
B-30 Almond: For light skin that is approximately N/NC 25
B-40 Sand: For light-medium skin that is approximately N/NC 27-30
B-50 Honey: For medium skin that is approximately N/NC 30-35
B-60 Amber: For medium-dark skin that is approximately N/NC 40-45
B-70 Mocha: For dark skin that is approximately N/NC 50+
|Above: The B shades in outdoor shade.|
The BD shades have warm, golden undertones for skin tones that lean yellow, peachy and olive:
BD-10 Warm Porcelain: For fair skin that is approximately NC 10-15
BD-15 Warm Buff: For fair-light skin that is approximately NC 15-20
BD-20 Warm Ivory: For fair skin that is approximately NC 15 (oddly, this sample appeared lighter than Warm Porcelain and Warm Buff)
BD-45 Warm Bisque: For light-medium skin that is approximatley NC 30
BD-50 Warm Honey: For medium-dark skin that is approximately NC 40
BD-55 Warm Praline: For medium skin that is approximatley NC 35 (once again, this sample seems lighter than Warm Honey)
BD-65 Warm Toffee: For dark skin that is approximately NC 50-55
The images below reflect the YSL Fusion Ink Foundation in B40 in various lighting situations...it was not set with powder and had been on the skin for over four hours in extreme heat!
|Above: With a flash.|
|Above: Natural window lighting...no flash.|
|Above: Outdoor mixed lighting.|
|Above: The beautiful cat that was peeking through my gazebo...her eyes are amazing, no?|
|Above: Outdoor light, sunlight streaming, no flash.|
|Above: Indoor lighting with a flash.|
|Above: Outdoor natural lighting.|
--Shop the Post--
Bottom Line: The hype surrounding the YSL Fusion Ink Foundation (currently available at Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Sephora, Bloomingdales, Bergdorf Goodman, Saks and Selfridges) is completely justified in my experience. The ultra light texture, soft matte finish and splendid lasting power make this a foundation worth trying. It is excellent for normal skin seeking medium coverage and a flawless finish that takes on a bit of glow as the day proceeds! Additionally, the NARS Audacious Lipstick in Raquel (currently available at Barney's NY and NARS.com) is fast becoming one of my favorite nudes to date...it has most perfect amount of creamy opacity that achieves a nude effect without washing out the face. Brilliant! I could't be more pleased with either product and hope you found this swatch-laden review helpful.
Have YOU tried the YSL Fusion Ink Foundation? Thoughts?
Good things ahead including the annoucement of the winner of the Rouge Bunny Rouge Palette Giveaway, new fall releases, a couple of event recaps and some exciting product discoveries...oh, and my August (where did the summer go??!) Favorites video ; )
The Beauty Professor
© 2012-14 Beautyprofessor® All Rights Reserved. Do not copy, reprint or republish content and/or photos without author's written permission.