My eye area has been of grave concern as of late...many years of sun exposure (and subsequent squinting) and contact lens applications have worked in tandem with the years to cultivate fine lines that, let's face it, aren't going anywhere on their own. In turn, I have been testing eye creams like crazy, hoping to find one (or two!) to combat this invasion.
While nothing can beat the efficacy of a retinol-saturated serum (RoC, here's looking at you...more on this later), my desire to balance and hydrate the eye area, coupled with my intent to find something unmitigatedly natural just might have been fulfilled thanks to the African Botanics Marula Botanical Eye Serum, which I recently had the chance to try.
The ingredients list of this product is remarkably brief (scroll on for details) and the brightening, hydrating, line-releasing and puffiness-reducing properties to flow from this tiny bottle are encouraging!
|Above: Retailing for $85, the Marula Botanical Eye Serum comes in a .96 fl oz. bottle.|
**Formulated with NO Parabens, mineral oils, BPA, petrochemicals, synthetic emulsifiers, toxic preservatives, phthlates, DEA, TEA, synthetic colors or fragrances. 100% Vegan and never tested on animals!
|Above: Since I only use two pumps a day, I envision this bottle lasting nearly a year with regular use.|
According to the African Botanics website:
Marula Botanical Eye Serum is formulated to immediately lift, firm & smooth the delicate eye contour area while imparting radiance & long lasting hydration. Corrects the signs of aging - puffiness, dark circles, wrinkles & lack of firmness.
- Marula Oil is Africa’s miracle oil. Hand harvested by women in village collectives from the exotic fruit seed kernels of bio-dynamic Marula trees, indigenous to Southern Africa. Rich in Vitamins C + E & Oleic Acid. Heals skin tissue, reduces redness & transepidermal water loss, improves skin’s elasticity & firmness. Marula Oil helps nourish, moisturize and soften dry skin, while providing antioxidant protection.
- Soy Protein – is a Plant Peptide. The building blocks of proteins, peptides have become an essential ingredient in anti-aging skin care. Peptides are a string of amino acids that are held together by bonds of nitrogen and carbon. Short chain peptides are able to penetrate the epidermis and send signals to cells, informing them how to function. Soy Protein has a tightening effect on skin. Retains moisture, stimulates collagen synthesis & encourages cell turnover to ensure smoother, firmer and more radiant skin.
- Rose Otto – hydro distilled at low temperature from majestic freshly picked Damascus roses. Rose Otto, with its complex chemical profile of at least 275 compounds, possesses a vast number of therapeutic applications. Topically applied, Rose Otto beautifully supports skin’s health and radiance. A rejuvenating oil, Rose helps restore moisture balance and is used, both in massage and inhalation therapy, to enhance circulation, deeply nourish the tissues and to promote a healthy inflammatory response. Astringent effect on capillaries just below the skin surface – useful to diminish redness caused by enlarged capillaries. Also promotes collagen.
- Calendula Flower Extract – Repairs skin on cellular level – can soothe and heal dry and/or damaged skin. It is often compared to Neosporin. Loaded with powerful healing substances, has been used for centuries to heal wounds and reduce inflammation. Calendula also promotes blood circulation.
- Vitamin E (D- tocopherol) – acts as an anti-oxidant
- Soothe tired, puffy eyes with this light yet powerful serum.
- Intensely boosts skin’s ability to repair, accelerating recovery.
- Restore skin elasticity, firmness & improve skin tone.
- Reduce dark circles, crows feet, fine lines & wrinkles.
- Rejuvenates and refreshes tired eyes.
- Corrects sun damage in the delicate eye area.
- Anti-pollution, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging benefits.
The amount of beautifully-articulated information regarding this product was such that I couldn't do anything to improve the clarity of the explanations...I appreciate how African Botanics thoroughly elaborates on the purpose of each ingredient in terms that any skin care enthusiast can process.
|Above: The serum in the sunshine...it is clear and watery in texture and is absorbed into the skin instantly.|
Just two pumps, twice a day has helped to reduce my AM puffiness and fine lines; since using this serum, I've also noticed that the skin around my orbital area has brightened and looks more refreshed!
The serum itself is silky and almost watery (as opposed to being dense and viscose) in nature and has a very light floral scent (that is due to the ingredients in the serum, rather than being an added element) that dissipates quickly upon application.
I apply it after cleansing and right before my Le Metier de Beaute Peau Vierge and find that it hasn't irritated my sensitive skin whatsoever...in fact, it is quite cooling and revitalizing!
|Above: My eyes after a week of nightly and daily applications of the Marula Botanical Eye Serum. I feel brighter and more balanced in the orbital area and can't wait for the long-term benefits!|
Bottom Line: Like many, I am gravitating towards using as many natural, non-chemical (yet, effective) skincare and beauty products as I can. From its succinct ingredients list to its soothing and smoothing results, the African Botanics Marula Botanical Eye Serum is fulfilling my quest beautifully... a truly delightful discovery. I've also been experimenting with the African Botanics Pure Marula Oil (as a moisturizer) and will be reporting back soon to discuss my thoughts...first impressions...it's divine!
**PR sample provided for review, however, as always, all of my opinions are expressly and unequivocally my own